Thursday, June 18, 2009

Avowing Dream Skepticism in a Dream

Last night I dreamt I was giving a talk -- a talk I am due to give next week in Australia. The talk wasn't going so well, and I suggested to the audience that maybe, just maybe, I was actually dreaming giving the talk. My evidence was that I remembered having planned to polish things up in the remaining few days before the talk but now I couldn't remember those days having occurred.

Alex Byrne, in the back of the room, looked highly skeptical and a bit dyspeptic. Dave Chalmers looked mildly amused. Dan Dennett stood up and said, "I very much doubt that you are dreaming, but I agree that your talk is nightmarishly bad."

Of course, it turns out that I was right and they were wrong. So there!


Joel Bass said...

Hilarious. Thanks for sharing this. (And you nailed Dennett's voice, by the way!)

sapience said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Eric Schwitzgebel said...

Shelly/sapience, if you want to repost your comment without the link, it would be welcome.